Thursday, September 24, 2009

Kierstin's 1st Birthday














They say a picture is worth a thousand words, and I agree. Kierstin was so proud to show her grandpa that she knew exactly how old she was and how much fun the party was going to be.

The night before her 1st birthday, (which just so happened to fall on a Saturday) Grandpa Thompson wanted to get some use out of his new high-fangled camera, so we took her to an old flour mill that still has the operating water wheel, to do just that.

After the initial inspection, by Kierstin, of all the pretty flowers, we were able to get a few good pics and she began to have so much fun. Here are just a few more pics from the mill:



























Then came the big party. We decided to keep it just family and everyone was here except Olivia and uncle Brad because Olivia was sick. We were so sad they couldn't be here, but the show must go on. Her cousin Josh tried to make up for the loss of cousin Olivia. Kierstin wasn't going to be an easy cheer.

Since we call Kierstin our "Little Bug" we (or maybe it was just me) thought it would be fun to have a lady bug theme party. Kierstin was sleeping when every one arrived so once she finally awoke, she was immediately transformed:


Maybe not in spirit, but certainly in dress. Her great 1st birthday debut and she still was not happy about Olivia not being there. But Josh was there, trying hard to make her smile...Oh sweet cousin Josh!














We decided we would open presents first then do cake last. So here are all the presents and here is Kierstin - still not
smiling: Even when aunt Ninners tries, still no.
















I think of that song, " I shall not be , I shall not be moved" Well let's see what happends when Josh once again tries to help: Maybe... not quite - good try Josh. He gets an A for perseverence.

So then we need to cover the cake aspect. Keep in mind that mommy made that cake all by herself. I wanted it to be the same kind of cake that my mom made for me growing up for my birthdays. A cake with strawberry jello holes and whip cream icing. It was a little hard to make that look like a lady bug, but I think you can see the resemblance...?...I just knew that this was going to excite her beyond my wildest dreams. Here she is with the cake:


























Oh Olivia, wherefor art thou?

The last part of the party was play time. My inlaws went in on a soft-tub pool for Kierstin, and she loves the water, so surely this will cheer her:

I think she's almost there, where is Josh now? If anyone can make her smile, it's got to be Josh.











and a little help from Uncle Ben. Do you see it, that glorious smile! You did it Joshin! You saved the day.













Do you hear the song, "We are the champions ringing in your ear?" Me too. Happy 1st birthday Kierstin Marie!

1 comment:

  1. What a cute post Becky! Looking forward to what happened in the last quarter of your year 2009!

    ReplyDelete

1st Moments

1st Moments
We are family

I think she was trying to give kisses back to me